Monday, January 31, 2011

Women in music.

Lately I have noticed myself growing in appreciation for female vocals in bands. I found CocoRosie online a few weeks ago and I am still unsure as to what exactly to think. I enjoy it, I really do; it's different, weird, atmospheric, and certainly one-of-a-kind. The full bio can be found here, but i am going to give you a cliff notes of sort:

Coco Rosie is made up of two sisters, Bianca and Sierra, who do most of the arrangement and vocals, and two guys, Gael and Tez, who pretty much do everything else. The genre i've heard is "Freak Folk" which makes sense as far as genres go. Below is a link to a song performed on a French television show. This song really demonstrates their diversity in sound and arrangment.

Werewolf


Another inspiring group is Nico Vega, who are a trio based in LA consisting of two guys playing guitar and drums and female singer, Aja. more information found here. Nico Vega's 2009 self titled album has been in heavy rotation lately, but what impresses me the most is a series of acoustic videos they have on their YouTube account. included below are two of my personal favorites:

Medicine Man


and Gravity


Latly, Here is a UK band that i cannot get enough of: The Joy Formidable. The album "The Big Roar" is set to be released in March 2011 in the US and is phenomenal release from start to finish.

Whirring


links:
CocoRosie on Facebook
Nico Vega dot com
The Joy Formidable

-ap

No comments:

Post a Comment